Whenever I think of Stroganoff my mind imagines this bowl of delicious, creamy, goodness……perfect comfort food!
This Mushroom Stroganoff is a vegetarian version of a traditional Russian dish. This recipe is far from authentic but it tastes great and works for me. Ours is a mushroom loving family so anything mushroom is always welcome!
Mushrooms, butter, parsley, regular cream and crème fraîche come together to make a delicious mushroom strognoff…..and all in just 20 minutes! Perfect week night meal!
For me mushroom stroganoff goes best with rice (regular, brown or wild) but feel free to have it with tagliatelle or any other pasta or grain that you fancy!
- Serves – 4
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cooking time – 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or more if you like more heat! (substitute for regular paprika if you don’t have smoked)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan
- Cook the onion and garlic until soft and starting to get some colour
- Add mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, till they start to release water
- Add the paprika and cayenne pepper and mix well
- Add the stock, crème fraîche, cream and plain flour
- Cook for a few minutes till the sauce thickens
- Take off the heat
- Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in parmesan and half the chopped parsley
- Serve topped with the balance fresh parsley